Re: trader status question

I am not an accountant - just a person who operated a business through a C
corporation for quite a few years.  So this is just my non-professional point of
view.  Unless securities trading is different than any other business - you can't
simply accumulate profits within a corporation and reinvest them.  If the corporation
makes a profit through its business activies - it - as a taxpayer (remember - a
corporation is a separate taxable entity) has to pay taxes on those profits to the
extent that they're not distributed to employees in the form of salaries and/or
shareholders in the form of dividends.

Also - what you're talking about may involve personal holding company issues.  A
discussion of this complicated area is beyond the scope of a mail list.

One thing to keep in mind with some forms of incorporation is that unless all of your
trading years are successful - you won't be able to pass through losses to your
personal return.  Might make a difference if - for example - you have a working
spouse with earned income - and you sometimes make big money in one year - and lose
big money in other years.

This is not to say that incorporation might not provide some people with some tax
benefits.  That's why I think that anyone who's doing this as a business - and not as
a hobby - should consult with a professional to determine the best form in which to
operate.  Robyn