Re: 2000i

Your comments below are almost exactly like my own experience.

A few weeks ago I purchased the upgrade for the Powersuite2000i
(which includes TS, OS, and Radar Screen). I was charged about $300
for a first payment plus shipping. Two days ago I mailed the product
back for a refund.

The biggest problem I had with the product was that it was so slow it
was essentially nonfunctional. I spent hours on the phone with their
tech support. Nobody had any straightforward answers. They all tried
to tell me that maybe I should buy another computer claiming that a
300Mhz 128M machine may not be fast enough. Some tried to blame the
fact that the machine has an AMD K6 processor. I was told "we only
test on Intel." Straightforwardly I told them they were full of it.

Even configuring the machine for no collection templates and only the
default (handful) of symbols in the initial install, the machine was
still incapable of keeping up.

Interesting factoids: The BMI Data Server used about 20% of the CPU
to run. Once the Global Server was started however, almost 100% of
the CPU time was used, almost independent of portfolio size.

I have TS4 running 100% on a 233Mhz AMD with 96M.

The sad truth about this is that customers are being used as paid
beta testers. Also product appears to be written by amateur or junior
programmers who just get it done for the features and ignore the
performance issues. I'll bet that if we actually went to Omega and
looked at what they're running, they would have a hard time producing
a working demo on even the recommended configuration they suggest
which is lower capacity than the machine I was using.

Like being in a bad trade, I got out of this one now and am waiting
for the smoke to clear and a favorable "trend" to develop. Having
lived through TS3 and 3.5 all the way through 4 and now PS2K, I can
say that typically in the past the first version of their products
tends to be an abortion, the next one a significant fix, the third
version what actually should have been released and the fourth and on
really solid. (TS4 is now an example of this)  The process seems to
take about a year or 18 months. In the meanwhile you can be caught
"upside down" losing a lot of fur in the process. Not this time for
me. I've learned my lesson.