Re: Dual Processors/ CQG

At 08:37 PM 3/30/99 -0600, stuart wrote:
>Allan,
>
>One thing I forgot to mention, is that when the midnight download takes
>place, I
>cannot do anything else in another workspace.  If I had another
>application open at
>the same time and wanted to close it, I could, between pauses of the HD,
>but that
>could be as little as once a minute or so.  Would NT improve that by itself or
>would dual processors, dual HD's, more ram ( I run 128 now) help in
>permitting true
>multitasking?

<snip>

 From the working of your question, I presume you're running Win95/98. It
multi-tasks by waiting for each task to release the processor. A bad
neighbor would hog resources and not let anyone else in (I can't imagine
whose software would do that).

Windows NT uses preemptive multi-tasking. Each task gets a time slice and
it isn't asked if it wants to give up control (it really doesn't know it's
lost it).

So the short answer is that NT would improve that. Then dual processors.
And considering the cost of memory, lots of memory is great for boosting
performance. You really never want the paging file to be used. If that
happens, execution speed dwindles. My system has 256MB and that's not
unusual these days. My next system will have 512 MB.

Allan

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people
very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams