Ettiquette, and trolls

Thanks to various list members who have reminded folks about the
obvious issues of simple ettiquette and civil discourse.  I'd
like to mention an incident the list experienced recently, as
a cautionary tale.

We have at least one rogue ex-member, who seems to delight in
harassing various list posters, mostly off list because he has
a hard time posting, since I remove him from the subscriber list
once I realize he's managed to sign up under yet another alias.
In these harassing notes, like the one directed at Sid Gold
recently, he also copies the list, hoping for a wider audience.

An unsuspecting recipient falls into the trap when replying "to all"
to that message, while also quoting it.  Since this reply is
done by a valid subscriber, the venom actually makes it to the
entire list, and a burst of noise results.  When the dust settles,
no one is quite sure who started the mess, and innocent folks
are all yelling at each other.  This is known as a "troll,"
because the prankster is "trolling" for disruption, trying to
make trouble, just for the fun of it.

The lesson is: be very careful when responding to harassing notes
referring to omega-list material.  Forward them to me, with complete
headers, and I may be able to track down yet another breach of our
list's security.  But don't forward them to the entire list.

Thanks,

--
jimo@xxxxxxxxxx
maintainer of the omega list