Regards,

Wong
                       THE NAPEAGUE LETTER
                      Saturday, March 27, 1999

Editor: Bob Davis                                http://www.napeague.com

                         EMERGENCY ALERT

"E-Mail Virus Spreads on Internet, Could Tie Up Traffic if Unstopped",
reads the Wall street Journal headline this morning!

Normally I ignore these warnings, but reportedly "Melissa" shut down e-mail
servers at Microsoft and Lucent yesterday afternoon. This one is dangerous!

According to the WSJ article:

  "The virus enters a computer in an e-mail message labeled "Important
  Message From." The message also includes the apparent sender's name."

  "Melissa replicates itself when a computer user opens the e-mail and a
  Word-based attachment it contains. Once open and active, the virus
  sends infected e-mail to 50 new recipients it finds in the computer
  owner's address book."

The entire Wall Street Journal article can be found at
<http://interactive.wsj.com/articles/SB922516918758109397.htm>

If you get an e-mail with "Important Message From" as its subject, do not
open it until you confirm its contents by contacting the person who sent
it to you!

Do not open any Word-based attachments in any messages until you confirm
the contents with the person who sent it to you, especially if the e-mail
message itself reads: "Here's the document you asked for. Don't show it
to anyone else."

If your e-mail software includes an option to automatically open
attachments, turn it off now!

Bob Davis
The Napeague Letter
http://www.napeague.com