Re: Tick Counts and Serial Ports

The tc 920 is an ISA board that runs fine under Windows 98 and Windows NT.  The
tc 920 uses 16750 UART, as opposed to the 16550 UART sold in PC's today.   16750
UART provides a 64-bit com port buffer as opposed to a 16-bit buffer for the
16550.   That gives the computer more time to completely service the com port
and avoid overflow errors.   tc 920 also has a special driver for the tc 920
card which is supposed to provide some additional advantages.  The tc 920 is
software configurable as opposed to one competitor I looked at which requires
configuring on the board.

As far as I know, the tc 920 or equivalent is ALWAYS recommended for DTN
satellite feed.   For those not familiar with DTN satellite, as I understand it
DTN transmits two satellite feeds which somehow your satellite sends to your
computer as a single feed.   DTN has a 56K baud prices-only satellite feed and a
38.4K baud satellite feed for text.

The tc 920 is also supposed to be useful if your modem supports
modem-to-computer speeds faster than 56K baud, which some V.90 modems do
support.   My modem does but when I tried a tc920 for my modem I couldn't see
any difference.

In Windows NT you have to enable a Plug-and Play driver, as they explain, which
can sometimes confuse NT a little, but it can be sorted out.   For Windows 98
you get a handy utility program to display the Bits per second of any com port.
That way you know the com port is functioning and how fast.   In the case of
BMI, it shows BMI is maxed out much too often during the day, which means ticks
are being delayed.   With all the text BMI transmits now, BMI really needs to go
to a dual feed - even dual 38K baud.

There is also a 2 port version of tc 920 which uses two IRQ's.

--- Chris