Re: Adding charts

-----Original Message-----
From: mguess <mguess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: he96@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <he96@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: James H. Snowden <jsnowden@xxxxxxxx>; omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wednesday, March 24, 1999 9:07 AM
Subject: Re: Adding charts

>Also, 4.0 was such a resource hog. We were promised TS2000i would co-exist w/ other
>programs in a much more efficient manner. Is it?

It depends.   In my case with Dual PII's and two hard drives, I'm running TS 2000
collecting all Future Options, all Futures and all Indices, and a few Nasdaq big-caps.
However I have no historical data yet and it seems that could make a big difference.    My
configuration is NT SP 4 with Dual PII 233's and 256 Meg RAM.   TS 2000 is on it's own
hard drive, together with the NT Swap file.   I'm also running another significant
application on the same computer, but it uses my first hard drive -  where NT is
installed.   In sum  - with slow PII Dual processor's, two hard drives, and plenty of RAM,
TS 2000 seems to run fine for Futures Traders.    Stocks traders may be another issue -
see below.

Another question is how much disk space the Global Server requires for historical data, as
the more hard drive space required, the slower the Global Server will run.   TS 4 seemed
to have quite a compact technique for historical data, but Global Server's use of Jet (a
fast way to access ODBC) may be another matter.

Here's some background on NT:  NT disk access is much faster than Windows 98, but I found
NT considerably more difficult to configure than Windows 98.   NT also cannot run more
than DirectX 2 or 3, while DirectX 5 and up are required for high-powered games.

For stock traders who want to collect every tick for all stocks transmitted on your dat
feed, I'm not sure TS 2000 is the way to go.   You might want to look at the Universal
Server:   When I've run the UMDS, I can collect every tick for 57,000 stocks, futures, and
indices - not counting 10,000 options.   This seems to requires fewer resources that TS
2000 takes to collect just futures, indices and futures options.

--- Chris