Re: DTN

I hadn't checked in a while but the DTNIQ page said futures would be
available about first of year and at the time I interpreted that to mean
around January 1999.

Regarding shortcomings of Signal OnLine, not too hard to find. Start with a
customer be-damned corporate attitude diametrically opposed to the attitudes
I experienced at DTN. Next, delayed data is not available for those
exchanges to which one does not subscribe on a real-time basis. Finally, the
pricing of SOL, like all other DBC products is about twice what the
competition charges.

I started with satellite, switched to cable, and finally to internet. My
experience has been that internet delivery _can_ be faster than cable and
satellite. I have found that prices/bid/ask on free CME globex feed
generally lead both satellite and cable. Ditto for the prices/bid/ask on the
Timberhill workstation. Limited comparisons suggest that Signal OnLine is
generally slightly ahead of satellite. IMO, the problem with internet
delivery is not speed but reliability: lost connections and lost packets and
that situation will continue to improve as the internet matures and local
infrastructure is upgraded. Ensign addresses the reliability issue with the
ability to obtain tick infill for up to 3 days via the SOL Data Manager and
while not perfect it goes a long way toward solving the issues of
lost/missing data. The data feed at Quote.Com goes even further by providing
on-demand availability of intraday/daily/weekly/monthly bars. While I'm not
(yet) a Quote.Com customer, I think this model where the trader has no need
to manage data locally, is the future.

Last year when evaluating feeds and software, Linn/RT was among the first
packages I tried because it supported the two feeds in which I had the
greatest interest: PCQuote (internet) and DTN. At the time, Linn/RT had a
great many quirks which made understanding and use of the software
counter-intuitive which led me to look further and ultimately on to Ensign.

Earl