Re: Mac S/W

At 10:31 AM 2/25/99 -0600, you wrote:
>Why is it that the only trading software is designed for pc's?  Every person
>that uses computers for graphic display such as graphic artists, newspapers
>and magazines, etc. all use macs and only macs (in my experience).
>
>I'm not sure what the advantage is, personally.  You would think that the
>potential for selling macs would have Apple looking into it and investing in
>it, though.
>
>Also, I'm not very computer competent but is it true that macs don't have a
>Y2k problem?
>
>~Alan
>
>I don't have any interest in anything beyond curiosity.

Dear Alan:

You are right. Apples don't have a Y2K problem, but they have something far
worse: a market share problem.

I was very reluctantly forced to buy a PC three years ago, just to have
decent market software.

At one point, Omega said they were going to port TS over to the Mac, but
after waiting for a number of years, I broke down and invested in the
vastly inferior PC technology.

To give you an idea of just how pedestrian PCs are compared to Macs, when I
first started in the mid-80's, I was immediately able to hook up 4 monitors
(could have done 6), with different monitor cards, etc--no problem.

14 years later, a big breakthrough for the Windows world--multiple monitor
support, which doesn't work anywhere near as well (or in some cases not at
all) as the Mac did all those years ago.

Then there's Plug & Play on the Mac, which is Plug & Pray on the PC.

Unfortunately, Apple had beady-eyed, greedy SOBs running the show, which
allowed Gates & his crap technology to gain market share until Gates became
the richest man in the world & Apple has been relegated to a cottage industry.

It's the same thing that happened with VCRs. Beta is clearly the superior
technology, but VHS won the market share gain. Now you must go to a museum
to see a Beta machine.

If Apple had 5% of the marketing savvy that Gates had, Gates would be a
janitor at Apple, rather than Apple being token competition for Gates.

I've spent more time trying to keep my PC box of junk (one of the 2 best
name brands, BTW, not some Korean wannabe)up & running in the last 3 yrs
than I have all my Macs over 15 years.

Best of luck in the PC world, you'll need it.

FPI