Re: Internet data feed - security risk?

Larry,

> > Either you do it with a decent operating system like NT and disable
> > all the bindings to TCPIP so that no one can hack into your operating
> > system
>
> How can one do this and still use TCPIP to get data via the net?

System->Network->bindings
disable bindings with TCPIP:
Netbios: not needed unless you want that someone reads your harddisk
Server: most likely not need - try to disable
Workstation service: not needed
RAS: needed
in case you run a network: Run some other protocol between all
machines e.g. Netware - leave only TCPIP on the Internet machine.
Don't run Administrator account while on the net. Rename Adminstrator
account. Don't call it Larry either.

> > you get a proper firewall
> Any suggestions much appreciated...
no recommendation here.

> > or you use one of your old PCs
> > and make a Linux firewall.
>
> Any pointers toward doing this much appreciated...
Get Redhat or whatever Linux package and some old PC (486) with
harddisk and a network card, lock yourself into a room for a week or
two - don't let your wife or spouse get near you until you know 30
unix commands blindfolded: www.linux.org
BTW: Linux supports IP masquarading as well so you can become a small
ISP for your family and neighbourhood.

Gerrit