Re: And the plot thickens..

Dans un courrier daté du 07/02/99 08:53:03 Heure d8iver Pari3 Madrid,
lwright@xxxxxxxxxx a écrit :

> n Sat, 6 Feb 1999 Orphelin@xxxxxxx wrote:
>
>  > >  Why not an ASCII option for studies? Much more convenient for
*traders*
>  > >  (as oppposed to solution providers), and no size problems at all.
Same
> as
>  > >  they had before.
>  > >
>  > I think thay removed the ASCII format  to avoid errors when transferring
>
>  What errors?  I *still* have ASCII code, in good shape, from the old
>  System Writer days, not to mention some ASCII code from old 8080's,
>  transferred from 8 inch disks.  Tell me about errors....

As the code was readable, some users tried to copy only the ASC file directly
to TS directory .
Of course , this produced a major erroe when running TS.
This is impossible with Ela files.

>  > also to protect the SC functions from being used  and modified without TS
>
>  Aaahhhh - the *real* reason comes out, after all -- make it proprietary
>  and more difficult for users...

TS = 2399.40 $
SC = 395.00$

Do you see a difference between two numbers above ?

( )Yes
( )No
( ) What means difference?

>  > >  Don't you think it would be nice for *traders* to have a save-as-ASCII
>  > >  option?
>  >
>  > Yes and no
>  > You can always export to a text edior
>
>  Export? -- how?  Don't you mean copy and paste, copy and paste, copy and
>  paste, copy and paste, one at a time until you get fed up.
>
>  *Really* ugly if you have a lot of studies.  With the studies from the net,
>  etc, I have a library of hundreds.
>
>  If they were ASCII, one could do some very nice things.  For example, I
>  have about 4 Gigs of reference material, in > 20,000 files.  If I'm
>  looking for, say, "close stop", I can find ALL instances of that phrase in
>  the 4 Gigs in only a few seconds, and scan through them very easily.  If I
>  come upon the code I need, I can easily copy & paste it.  *Very* fast, but
>  NOT with those awful .ela files.

See above.

>  Let's bring back ASCII...
>
>  > >  Why not say how to access an omz?  Other data providers say what the
>  > >  format is, and some even have sample code to access it.  Would it not
> be
>  > >  nice to be able to do this?
>  > >
>  > They provide some useful information to access the data with their Server
>  > API.
>

>  Does this mean I can add contracts and data, reset expired contracts,
>  add/import data to expired contracts, edit bad ticks with a Access/VB "bad
>  tick finder", etc?

Probably, but not with Access ( see further).

>  > OMZ format changes every major version, so it's not designed to be a
> standard.
>
>  Hey - just post the new format on the Omega web site.  No problem...

I'm a TradeStation user, not the  product designer.

>  > >  For fast storage, of course not, but it would be nice to be able to
> import
>  > >  ASCII ticks, would it not?  And isn't ASCII *the* leader in overall
>  > >  compatibility?
>  >
>  > Yes, we need that. An not only for ticks.
>
>  Glad you agree...
>
>  > You can add new sympbol to the universe ( at your own risks)
>
>  This is not the problem...
>
>  > scanning bad ticks can be done with the server and the API.
>
>  This *is* the problem:
>
>  Does this mean I can add contracts and data, reset expired contracts,
>  add/import data to expired contracts, edit bad ticks with a Access/VB "bad
>  tick finder", etc?
>
>  Can I do these with the server and the API?

Yes, but not directly with Access or VB
You need to use  a C compiler with the API.
Access reads the symbol universe, not the OMZ f or DAT files.
The bad ticks can be modified by developping an application with the API
server, and also import export from ASCII could be considered, at you own
risks.
I know that Bob Brickey has been able  to do this ,and we were also
considering this 3 years ago.
Due to the frequent DAT format change and the possibility of an automated tick
filter in a next TS release, we gave up with  this development.

PO