Re: And the plot thickens..

On Sat, 6 Feb 1999 Orphelin@xxxxxxx wrote:

> >  Why not an ASCII option for studies? Much more convenient for *traders*
> >  (as oppposed to solution providers), and no size problems at all.  Same as
> >  they had before.
> >
> I think thay removed the ASCII format  to avoid errors when transferring

What errors?  I *still* have ASCII code, in good shape, from the old
System Writer days, not to mention some ASCII code from old 8080's,
transferred from 8 inch disks.  Tell me about errors....

> also to protect the SC functions from being used  and modified without TS

Aaahhhh - the *real* reason comes out, after all -- make it proprietary
and more difficult for users...

> >  Don't you think it would be nice for *traders* to have a save-as-ASCII
> >  option?
>
> Yes and no
> You can always export to a text edior

Export? -- how?  Don't you mean copy and paste, copy and paste, copy and
paste, copy and paste, one at a time until you get fed up.

*Really* ugly if you have a lot of studies.  With the studies from the net,
etc, I have a library of hundreds.

If they were ASCII, one could do some very nice things.  For example, I
have about 4 Gigs of reference material, in > 20,000 files.  If I'm
looking for, say, "close stop", I can find ALL instances of that phrase in
the 4 Gigs in only a few seconds, and scan through them very easily.  If I
come upon the code I need, I can easily copy & paste it.  *Very* fast, but
NOT with those awful .ela files.

Let's bring back ASCII...

> >  Why not say how to access an omz?  Other data providers say what the
> >  format is, and some even have sample code to access it.  Would it not be
> >  nice to be able to do this?
> >
> They provide some useful information to access the data with their Server
> API.

Does this mean I can add contracts and data, reset expired contracts,
add/import data to expired contracts, edit bad ticks with a Access/VB "bad
tick finder", etc?

> OMZ format changes every major version, so it's not designed to be a standard.

Hey - just post the new format on the Omega web site.  No problem...

> >  For fast storage, of course not, but it would be nice to be able to import
> >  ASCII ticks, would it not?  And isn't ASCII *the* leader in overall
> >  compatibility?
>
> Yes, we need that. An not only for ticks.

Glad you agree...

> You can add new sympbol to the universe ( at your own risks)

This is not the problem...

> scanning bad ticks can be done with the server and the API.

This *is* the problem:

Does this mean I can add contracts and data, reset expired contracts,
add/import data to expired contracts, edit bad ticks with a Access/VB "bad
tick finder", etc?

Can I do these with the server and the API?

Larry