Re: And the plot thickens..

Dans un courrier daté du 06/02/99 17:50:04 Heure d5iver Pari4 Madrid,
lwright@xxxxxxxxxx a écrit :

> > Nice hat. Texan model ?
>
>  Actually, a French beret, pulled down slightly on one side so it almost
>  touches the ear.

Porbably oversized.

>  > I was speaking of the lack of compatibility with other feeds...and maybe
> EL.
>  > At least, ELA files can be opened and you can see all of what's iside.
>
>  Why not an ASCII option for studies? Much more convenient for *traders*
>  (as oppposed to solution providers), and no size problems at all.  Same as
>  they had before.

I think thay removed the ASCII format  to avoid errors when transferring , and
also to protect the SC functions from being used  and modified without TS

>  Don't you think it would be nice for *traders* to have a save-as-ASCII
>  option?

Yes and no
You can always export to a text edior

>  > OMZ files not readable ?
>
>  Why not say how to access an omz?  Other data providers say what the
>  format is, and some even have sample code to access it.  Would it not be
>  nice to be able to do this?

They provide some useful information to access the data with their Server
API.
OMZ format changes every major version, so it's not designed to be a standard.

>  > Would you prefer ASCII for realtime data storage ?
>
>  For fast storage, of course not, but it would be nice to be able to import
>  ASCII ticks, would it not?  And isn't ASCII *the* leader in overall
>  compatibility?

Yes, we need that. An not only for ticks.

>  > Server datafile (Universe.mdb ) is readable as an MS Access file.
>
>  Does this mean I can add contracts and data, reset expired contracts,
>  add/import data to expired contracts, edit bad ticks with a Access/VB "bad
>  tick finder", etc? If it were really open, I'd be able to do these things
>  and more (at my own risk, of course).

You can add new sympbol to the universe ( at your own risks)
scanning bad ticks can be done with the server and the API.
We planned to do this, but as it should be available in a next version , we
gave up.

>  Would it not be nice to "look inside" the data files, assuming we are
>  willing to take the risk of messing up something?

See above.

>  > I'll say something that is confidential:
>  > I never call Omega Research, for anythin dealing with support.
>  > NEVER since 1991.
>
>  Hey - I don't blame you, I don't either unless nobody else has an answer.

yes yes yes...

Sincerely,

-Pierre Orphelin