Re: And the plot thickens..

On Fri, 5 Feb 1999 Orphelin@xxxxxxx wrote:

> >  > A proprietary software on a proprietary data feed is a stupidity.
> >
> >            (writer dons cynics hat)
> >  Hmmm... let's see...  Queasy language, .omz files, .ela files, server
> >  data files... Yeah, I guess everyone uses these -- nothing proprietary
> >  about Omega -- everything is completely open, easy, and transparent for
> >  users. Nothing proprietary about Omega stuff.
> >            (writer removes cynics hat)
>
> Nice hat. Texan model ?

Actually, a French beret, pulled down slightly on one side so it almost
touches the ear.

> I was speaking of the lack of compatibility with other feeds...and maybe EL.
> At least, ELA files can be opened and you can see all of what's iside.

Why not an ASCII option for studies? Much more convenient for *traders*
(as oppposed to solution providers), and no size problems at all.  Same as
they had before.

Don't you think it would be nice for *traders* to have a save-as-ASCII
option?

> OMZ files not readable ?

Why not say how to access an omz?  Other data providers say what the
format is, and some even have sample code to access it.  Would it not be
nice to be able to do this?

> Would you prefer ASCII for realtime data storage ?

For fast storage, of course not, but it would be nice to be able to import
ASCII ticks, would it not?  And isn't ASCII *the* leader in overall
compatibility?

> Server datafile (Universe.mdb ) is readable as an MS Access file.

Does this mean I can add contracts and data, reset expired contracts,
add/import data to expired contracts, edit bad ticks with a Access/VB "bad
tick finder", etc? If it were really open, I'd be able to do these things
and more (at my own risk, of course).

Would it not be nice to "look inside" the data files, assuming we are
willing to take the risk of messing up something?

> I'll say something that is confidential:
> I never call Omega Research, for anythin dealing with support.
> NEVER since 1991.

Hey - I don't blame you, I don't either unless nobody else has an answer.

Larry Wright