Re: And the plot thickens..

Dans un courrier daté du 06/02/99 00:51:44 Heure d12iver Pari44 Madrid,
lwright@xxxxxxxxxx a écrit :

> On Fri, 5 Feb 1999 Orphelin@xxxxxxx wrote:
>
>  > For years, we have heard complaints her and calls for Competitor to beat
> the
>  > ugly OMGA company.
>
>  Gee - maybe if Omega listened to and treated its customers better, that
>  wouldn't happen.  Why else would there be *so* many complaints?  Their
>  support is so bad that I now turn first to this list, and only call Omega
>  if it is necessary.  How many others find that Omega support does not go
>  much beyond "click the start icon?" How many times are they unable to
>  provide a useful answer?  And just *try* to get a decent answer about
>  Queasy Language.  I, for one, have given up on Omega ever providing decent
>  support, and would love to see some competitors.

Omega ghas improved support over years,and some of my customers received
timely answers to their EL queries ( waht was not always the case in the
past).
Technical supportis th weak part of modern software.
See Microsoft for example:
2 calls free then you pay for Win 98.
Same for Frontpage 98.
More , the answers are not always correct.

>  > A proprietary software on a proprietary data feed is a stupidity.
>
>            (writer dons cynics hat)
>  Hmmm... let's see...  Queasy language, .omz files, .ela files, server
>  data files... Yeah, I guess everyone uses these -- nothing proprietary
>  about Omega -- everything is completely open, easy, and transparent for
>  users. Nothing proprietary about Omega stuff.
>            (writer removes cynics hat)

Nice hat. Texan model ?

I was speaking of the lack of compatibility with other feeds...and maybe EL.
At least, ELA files can be opened and you can see all of what's iside.
OMZ files not readable ? Would you prefer ASCII for realtime data storage ?
Server datafile (Universe.mdb ) is readable as an MS Access file.

>  > But fortunately, FS will succeed!
>  I certainly hope so - Omega needs all the competition it can get!

I think that we will have fun with this new one!

>  I know from your posts, Pierre, that Omega can do no wrong for you, but
>  please realize that not all of us share your enthusiasm for Omega.

But, but ... this is where you are all wrong !

>  Omega probably does listen to 'solution providers' such as yourself, but
>  it *certainly* doesn't listen to, or provide decent support for, their
>  long-term users.

I'll say something that is confidential:
I never call Omega Research, for anythin dealing with support.
NEVER since 1991.
I sometime  send a report to fix somme errors ( beta program) or make some
suggestion as anyone should do.
An in no case as a solution provider, excepted for web listing problems or
commercial purposes.

>  Since 80%+ of traders bomb out quickly, the Omega business model is likely
>  to be: Sell as many to beginners as possible, get them to buy as much
>  training and add-ons as possible, and make sure they *can't* sell all that
>  junk when they bomb out.  No need for more than simple "here's how to turn
>  it on" support is needed, except for a small minority of people who
>  actually keep using it. Not worth the cost of providing good support for
>  those folks -- forget them.
>
>  Seems to fit well, no?

Nan.
Seems , but not the case.
Omega tries to help their customer by building better software first.
This is why they succeed, and because there is no serious alternate solution
worth switching to it.More , there is no serious reason to switch from TS to
anything else available and proven  for the moment.
This will remain true with Prosuite 2000i more than before

Sincerely,

Pierre Orphelin
www.sirtrade.com