Re: Trouble in Paradise : Repost

  • To: markbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Mark Brown)
  • Subject: Re: Trouble in Paradise : Repost
  • From: "Gerrit Jacobsen" <jrt@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 21:43:49 -0500 (EST)

Mark,

Bob wrote:
> 1. The initial license fee will be discounted $750, making it
   only $1000.

This sentence uses the future term "will". I would always read this
as: You WILL pay less IF you buy the product later.

No one in his right mind would pay for beta-software anway. That is
why your interpretation didn't make sense to me.

> 2. Testers will receive technical support during the test period
>    on the TLBeta list.  However, quarterly license fees will not
>    begin until the final product is released.

This sentence supports your opinion since the sentence assumes that
beta-testers will purchase the final product anyway.

Upon reading it in detail again I acknowledge that your
interpretation is possible. However I find it hard to believe that
Bob assumes that someone would pay for beta-software.

Unfortunately I have not been to this seminar - I would have loved
to see you in action. I never go to any seminars unless the trip is
paid, they are free and offer good free lunches.

I believe that Bob's demonstration was disappointing. However
Bobs letters are open to interpretation. I read that the beta2 is
several times oversubscribed - I do not know whether this is true -
but I wonder why there haven't been more complaints regarding the
fee -  if it exists.

I will reserve my judgement regarding tradelab until it is ready.

Gerrit Jacobsen