Re: CME to be shut down?

FPI:

Well, having always lived here in Chicago, and being a MERC member at one point,
and having once been an economist at Harris Bank [1980], I actually know all of
the people in the chain of command at Harris and the Bank of Montreal. I also
have very good contacts at the MERC. Oddly enough, I also have some very good
contacts at Bank of America. Now, Bank of America is more likely to have been
involved in something like this, because their international trading, compared
to Harris, is much larger. But I don't think there's much there...

As for the MERC, memories seem to be short-lived. They were investigated to
death by a local politician looking to make a name for himself, using the FBI's
muscle. And all he could find was a few nickle and dime problems--in fact, no
one indicted was found guilty; instead, only the people that plea bargained
ended up being sentenced. Of course there are people on the Merc and any
exchange that break the law--but this stuff is just someone's imagination.

The financial implications of closing the MERC for 90 days would dwarf any
financial scandal seen in this country, especially in this atmosphere. Think of
all the derivative trades and SP trades--gone or being unable to hedge an
existing position.

At least that's my opinion. Anything else I know or think on the matter, I have
no interest in putting in print, thank you.

Best,

Tim Morge