Re: Indicators, Beagle or human

Gary:

There's one thing here that still remains--They can recreate music that sounds
as if it was written by Mozart. Can they create code that is creative and
original--by that I mean, literally, can they create a program that has
originality and creativity?

There are hundreds of good architects now days that have studied Frank Lloyd
Wright and can turn out homes and building that are 'perfectly' his style. If
the homes were aged after they were built, they would 'be' Frank LLoyd Wright
creations. But can you write a program that has the creativity that Frank LLoyd
Wright has? Or Mozart?

I don't see recreations as equal accomplishments. The equivalent in trading
might be to take my trading records for the past twenty years and overlay them
with tick records of all of those markets and then let a computer system 'learn'
my trading style. Might you be able to get a computer to look for some trade
setups I take? Yes. But as the markets change and evolve over the next twenty
year period, will that original program you wrote change and evolve and develope
new trade setups? Will it be able to take experiences gained in some market
shocks and translate portions of those experiences and apply them to a
different, unrelated experience?

I do not believe there is a computer that writes original Mozart. And we've
talked about this before: There are computer programs that use brute force to
try to overpower chess masters. There are not subtle thinking programs that are
competing playing chess with creative, original attacks and defense. To me,
parroting is not the same as creating and being.

Best,

Tim Morge