Re: Indicators, Beagle or human

I have a rather extensive background in software development and spent the
last decade of my career building trading indicators and systems as a hobby
and I've continued to develop indicators and systems since becoming a full
time trader. While I've hardly exhausted all possible avenues, I've been
down a great many and my own trading has evolved away from indicators and
systems to pivots, patterns and channels which keep me pretty close to the
price action. The one thing I have found is that the more I deal in
identifying and trading price moves, the more difficult the programming
becomes. I constantly try to automate the routine parts of how I trade and
am amazed at the complexity involved ... what appears to be a few simple
rules turns out to be a very complex eye/brain cognitive process.

I believe that the widespread use of computers and computer software in
trading is based in large part on the apparent ease of trading using formula
based indicators .... a myth which is heavily promoted by the mass market
trading software vendors who promote their software based on indicator count
and system count. Yet, that ease is deceiving ... those who trade
successfully something like a simple RSI or Stochastic (and there are
traders who do), know that the secret lies in recognizing and trading the
subtle patterns of confirmation and divergence rather than simplistic line
cross-overs and those patterns are far more difficult to program than A
Cross Below B.

Earl