Re: S&P 100 Index Components

At 11:29 AM 10/6/98 -0700, you wrote:
>On a related issue, does anyone know where to find a list of the S&P 500
>stocks showing their *cap weighting*? I've heard that 5 stocks make up
>about 25% of the index.

Here's some other S&P 500 stats from:
http://www.proinvestor.com/pub/indexes/index.html

Description of the S&P 500

The S&P 500 Index consists of 500 stocks chosen for market size, liquidity,
and industry group representation. It is a market-value weighted index
(stock price times number of shares outstanding), with each stock's weight
in the Index proportionate to its market value. The "500" is one of the most
widely used benchmarks of U.S. equity performance. For more about why stocks
are added or removed from an S&P Index, see the General Guidelines for
Adding and Removing Stocks from the S&P Indexes.

S&P 500 Industry Group Representation  as of September 30, 1998

  Number of Companies as % of 500

Industrials  376 75.2%
Utilities  37 7.4%
Financials  77 15.4%
Transportation  10 2.0%

S&P 500 Exchange Representation

NYSE 461 92.2%
NASDAQ  37 7.4%
AMEX  2 0.4%

S&P 500 Statistics

Total Market Value ($) 8,125 billion
Mean Market Value ($) 16,250 million
Median Market Value ($) 6,793 million
Weighted Average Market Value ($) 67,668 million
Largest Company's Market Value ($) 271,202 million
Smallest Company's Market Value ($) 537 million
Median Share Price $37.500
P/E Ratio 26.10
Dividend Yield 1.60%

For questions or comments about this site, please contact
speqwebmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx .
Copyright © 1998 The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All Rights Reserved.