re Linux v NT

Form: Memo
Text: (24 lines follow)
Brian wrote

"For me the reason I use NT is because it is what 90% of thes rest of the
world uses and it's more profitable, more convenient and less time-consuming
for me to be compatible with the overwhelming majority than it is to have
some remote technical advantage.  NT does everything I need it to do and
this is probably the case for 80% of the people out there.  This is why I
don't use a Mac which I much prefer over a PC."

Similarly anyone with a constantly changing staff almost has no choice but
to use Windows. Good employees are hard to find - some would refuse to work
for an organization which uses an new or unpopular or unheard of operating
system on the basis it might  hurt their reemployment prospects. Also the
cost of retraining those without Linux experience could be formidable.

So I suggest Linux is likely to grow  first in one person or very small
businesses. After awhile larger business will follow but only when there is
a pool of available talent which will decrease the enormous retraining
costs. I am a partner in a firm of 250 people in the process of being raped
by the almost forced upgrade to NT. We would dearly love to find an
alternative but to do so would cost us a great deal more money at this stage
or in the foreseeable future.

Gordon Pelletier
Attachment Count: 0