Re: TS5 Press Release: Did we miss something?

"unstable, fragile, backward applications" may be a bit of a stretch - while
I take issue with Omega's quality control and support policies, Omega's
products have provided many features simply not available in other products.
For example I was an early user of Metastock DOS but gave up on ever seeing
a Windows product and switched to SC 2x. I found and reported dozens of bugs
(reports were ignored), however it was still far ahead of MS. When Equis
released MSWin 6.0 I jumped on it but found it lacked two important features
I had in SC 2x: ability to handle multiple data streams in multiple time
frames and a good programming language (since crippled in later releases). I
returned MSWin. Yes, I found enough deficiencies (bugs) that I found it
necessary to check virtually every Omega indicator and system calculation,
upon which I relied, in Excel or VB. By the time I needed a real-time
program I decided that I would not, under any circumstances, send another
$2000+ to Omega for reasons of above-mentioned quality control and support.

I tested a number of trading packages and not one was as feature rich as SC
& TS. Never-the-less, I was able to find one which met my basic needs -
Ensign Windows www.ensignsoftware.com. During my evaluation, I asked the
developer about a feature I needed. The next day he told me that I could
download an updated version with the requested feature - I wasn't even a
paying customer! Been trading with it for months now, and because I don't
use the stuff everyone else uses, I've found a fair number of bugs. Not only
were all bugs fixed within a day or two of the same kind of reasonably
detailed reports I used to send to Omega, but the developers have added
scores of enhancements which I've suggested. EW was made Y2K compliant last
spring and it runs with DTN - same Bridge data feed as BMI for half the
cost. And because the developer rents it for $29/month instead of selling it
for $2800, he stays on top of his customer's needs with updates, fixes, and
great telephone support. Now I'm trading with the beta 32 bit version
(essentially finished except for final documentation) and I'm happier than
ever because I'm able to develop stuff in the new compiled ESPL trading
language which required the EL Power Editor.

All of which is to say that Omega's still ahead in the features department
(I continue using SC for EOD work), however the gap is closing fast and
there is at least one product out there today which is a good real-time
trading tool, offered at reasonable cost, with great support, and a powerful
custom programming language. It will not be long before there are others.

Earl