RE: Hedge Fund

Colin,

> Here's my opinion of a phenomenon that with hindsight one may say
> was the cause of the very unusual flows in the bond market this past
> summer.

I think that the LTC position is not big enough to influence the bond
market in a noticable way. However as Timothy pointed out most of the
funds were playing the same game.

Ever since the Nippon banks got into trouble and the Yen hit 100
JPY/USD the Japanese Central Bank lowered interest rates and
encouraged their banks to borrow cheap Yen and invest into US
treasuries. This strategy was designed to bail-out the Japanese banks
that had accumulated large property related loan problems. The hedge
funds basically followed this strategy.

After the intervention against the Yen this summer we see unwinding
of these positions. Basically the central banks have set the signal
that the easy game is over.

I attribute most of the anomalies to the capping of the
Dollar vs. the Japanese yen.

Gerrit