RE: Hedge Fund

Here's my opinion of a phenomenon that with hindsight one may say was the
cause of the very unusual flows in the bond market this past summer.

The mistake that LTC made, from which most of their other problems seemed to
flow, was to build positions that overwhelmed the liquidity of certain
markets. That is, slippage as a ratio to liquidity was clearly inverted, and
therefore it became completely impractical to manage risk in the usual way
that relative-value trading demands. The problem couldn't dissipate soon
enough, as LTC was "the problem." Hedging against a hedge, against a hedge,
against a hedge, ad infinitum isn't workable when the hedge becomes or is
the risk!

Regards,

Colin West
303.741.8690