Re: Hedge Fund

Tim,

Thank you for your (as usual) insightful response.  And, yes, I do
happen to have a few questions.

First, let me see if I'm correctly understanding the situation:

(1) The brokerage firms who loaned Long Term Capital money to prevent a
margin call now own 90% of the Hedge Fund.  These loans were backed by
various Banks who are being tacitly backed by the Federal government who
is being backed by the taxpayer.

(2) Hedge Fund investors have now lost 90% of their equity.

(3) The brokerage firms who now own 90% of LTC are now invested in a
situation almost as highly-leveraged as what existed prior to the loans.

If this is true, what happens if/when this House of Cards begins to
collapse?  Do the brokerage firms then go to the Banks who then go to
the Federal Government who then goes to the Taxpayer for yet another
Savings-and-Loan-type Bail Out?

What does the Federal Government do?  Do they, under massive negative
public pressure, back away from their tacit support of the Bank loans?

If so, do we have a potential Bank collapse on our hands?

Do we face the prospect of an OTC market collapse due to contractual
payment obligations being broken by bankrupt brokerage firms?

How does all of this effect already-weakened foreign economies and what
effect does that then have on our own economy?

What, if anything, can Alan Greenspan do to keep such a downward spiral
from accelerating out of control?

Are there other Hedge Funds beside LTC who have gone through (or are
close to going through) the same scenario? If so, who and how many and
just what is our total potential exposure?

Did you *really* mean it when you said, "there are no regulations or it
isn't clear which agency has jurisdiction"...or were you just being
facetious?

Is there reason for concern?  Is it Trailing Ticks I'm hearing or "Tick,
tick, tick, tick,...,BOOM"?

Dave