Re: Different versions of RSI

Barry,

In his 1978 book, New Concepts in Technical Trading Systems, Welles
Wilder does not apply any kind of a moving average to his RSI.  In his
example he uses a 14 day RSI.

He does have a couple of pages of tips about how to use the RSI, such as
identifying failure swings, divergences, and support and resistance
levels.  He also shows how trend lines can be applied to the RSI.

I have had good results using a technique I learned from Tom Aspray at a
ComprTrac Seminar a long time ago.  He recommended a 9 bar RSI with a 21
bar Weighted Moving Average of the RSI to identify the trend of the
RSI.

I hope this helps.
                        Jim Sullivan