Different versions of RSI

Does Welles Wilder apply a moving average to his original RSI, and if
so what kind?  I don't have his book.  Three other books I have give
three different interpretations.  "The Encyclopedia Of Technical
Market Indicators", mentions an exponential MA on page 433 and in the
table foot note on page 434 it describes a hybrid exponential -
simple MA.

"Martin Pring On Market Momentum", appears to define by example a
simple moving total.  In Tusshar Chande "The New Technical Trader",
RSI is covered in a number of sections.  In one place it is based on
the sum of up days and down days, which should have a simple
averaging effect.  But then he says "Wilder's method effectively uses
a 27 day exponential MA to smooth Su and Sd values before computing
RSI".

Chande's book sold me on the benefit of CMO over RSI.  However, when
he defined a new hybrid momentum - stochastic indicator, he made it
STO-RSI rather than STO-CMO.  Why?

Has anyone else out there dealt with the same questions?

Thanks, Barry Kaufman