Re: Last price, closing price and settlement price

Mark:

You are right and the example you give is a good one. The worst case I can
remember was in the copper market. I had a very large long position on for the
porfolio I was managing at the time. The floor ran the price up about 4 cents
right on the close, right to my profit target and I was selling the close as
fast as I could. This was on the last day of a quarterly period, and so the
profits I booked would determine my quartly fee from my clients. I was not able
to get all of my position off at the close, and when I saw the price the floor
committee set as the 'settlement' price, I went ballistic. It was no where near
the prices that were trading on the close.

Best,

Tim Morge