Re : TS 5.0 Numerical Precision?

Dans un courrier daté du 21/09/98 22:51:15  , vous avez écrit :

<< >Maybe you could propose a simple EL test code  that I could check  (I'll
run
 >it here), although the best solution was to directly ask Omega.

 Well, off the top of my head:

 X = 1.000000000010;
 Y = 1.000000000015;

 Z = 1 / (X - Y);
 plot1(Z, "test");

 If you get a divide-by-zero error, it's not double precision.

I'll get one, anyway due to the internal EL security check to the division.

However
X = 1.000000000010;
Y = 1.000000000015;

if X-Y<>  then  Z = 1 / (X - Y);
 plot1(Z, "test");

Should produce something <>0 (-0.2, if i'm correct).
This is not the case...unless you set Z to 0.2!

<<
 Rather than interrupt Omega, who must be working diligently improving
 our products <g>, it seems much more practical to run this simple test
 on the actual product, and give such an enthusiastic proponent as Pierre
 an opportunity to demonstrate its strengths.

I guess  that you are thinking that I have a surnatural power...
Do no *believe* that!

Sincerely,

Pierre