Off Topic: God and Dice

You didn't ask for this, but reading your tail quotes made me want to
send it to you, since you were highlighting the subject of God and
chance.  Hope you find worth at least the time it takes to read it :).

re your quotes:

"The lot is cast into the lap, but its every decision is from the
Lord."  Proverbs 16:33.

Perhaps you know that "casting of lots" was a game of chance like the
throwing of dice.  This scripture seems to indicate that what man
thinks is random is not random to God.  Consider this:  A tick chart
looks quite random (in fact, a tick chart often resembles a coin toss
results chart -- a picture of randomness).  Yet, the same period
depicted in the tick chart, if viewed on a 5, 10, 15 min or daily or
some other larger time period, will obviously be part of a trend -- a
non random series.

The same can be seen on a 1 min vs. daily, and a daily vs. monthly,
and I trust a yearly vs. decade would be similar, as would decade vs.
century, or some other long interval.  Thus, the longer the time
horizon, the less random "randomness" becomes.

The point is that God is eternal, man is finite.  What man perceives
as eternal in his finite mind is most certainly not random from God's
infinite perspective.

I guess you could say that God's statement about the subject is this
(interpreting the scripture):  God doesn't play dice, it only looks
that way.

FWIW

cDw

---Allan Kaminsky <allank@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I was watching the Spoos and CNBC yesterday, 9/16/98 (weren't we all).
>
> The Spoos had been pretty quiet with a gradual upward drift: about
1046 at
> about 1105 (EDT) to about 1054 at about 1300 (EDT). I think this
> represented quiet optimism that more encouraging words were about to
be
> uttered about interest rates.
>
> When CNBC announced that they had just reviewed the written version
of the
> prepared statements and that there was no mention of interest rates, a
> downward price shock ensued. More interestingly, there was a slight
rebound
> and then an additional high velocity downward price move. These
events were
> connected with very heavy trade volume.
>
> The initial price shock was untradeable technically by definition.
However,