Re: Server Specification

here's the v.3 blurb from umds' website (www.uniserv.com).  don't know
if it's what you're looking for, but hope it helps.

re: networks, that's a big concern of mine too.  i think kent's
worried about users distributing exchange data across large networks
while only paying for it once.  he's being super careful not to piss
off the exchanges.

and afa linux goes, beats me.  but it's interesting platform from what
you and mark brown have described in past posts.

TJ

Universal Market Data Server

Version 3.0 Information

Here is the latest information on Version 3 Release:

We have made good progress on Version 3 development.   Everything we
are doing including servicing the needs of our institutional clients
is based on a full-featured Version 3 of the UMDS.  We still  have
some remaining work on the  historical subsystem with the difficulties
of storage/importing/exporting of gigabytes of tick data, but most of
the other programming is done.   Version 3  is actually being used for
mission critical work at one of our institution customers that does
not currently need the long-term tick storage.

We hope to have Version 3 done by September 15th, but it will probably
not be released until October so we can do proper testing and
documentation cleanup.  Sorry for the delay.

Our real problem has become how to sell and support the UMDS to
"non-professional" end-users.  We have spent a lot of time over the
last several months on how to do this properly.   So until Version 3
is fully ready and we have a sales and support operation, users can
use Version 2 for free, but as before,  we do not have the resources
in place to provide direct support.

Sorry for any inconvience on our release of Version 3.  But we have
been doing our homework and have been very busy attempting to do what
is best for all of our users and third party developers.  We think
everyone will be pleased with the near and long term results of our
work.

Here is a list of the items planned for version 3.

1. (*)The UMDS to work optionally as a NT service (or small icon in
Windows 95)

2. New Fields for WOW Trade Talk compatibilty with Omega Easy Language.

3. Multi-session support by symbol.

4. New Asset Types for SPREADS and FOREX (not handled at all now)

5. Editing of exchange information including exchange holidays.

6. Improved Tick Filters.

7. Market Open Resets by Exchange.

8. 50%-100% Overall performance Improvement (Improved indexing and new
tricks with over 1,000,000 random symbol lookups/second on P300)

9. Faster loading of both Intraday and historical ticks.

10. (*)Abiltiy of server to calculate real-time user defined symbols.

11. (*) Allowing extra bytes to be stored for each symbol for special
FDL drivers (CME) uses.

12. (*) Improved DDE Application

13. (*)Updating of data from cleanup Tick and EOD data downloaded from
internet.

14. (*)Unlimited Historical Tick and EOD Storage (data moved to
archival files).

15. (*)Importing, exporting of EOD and Tick data (separate DLL for
each format)

16 (*)Improved editing of tick data.

17. (*)Compressing historical data that will get 5 times as much data
in same disk space.

18. (*)Access of EOD historical data via CD or Archive File.

Note:  Items with an (*) will only be availble in a purchased open
version.

Please e-mail any comments to  mstream@xxxxxxxx

---Jim Osborn  wrote:
 Allan, can you point me to a copy of the spec for the UMDS? It does
sound like one of the better starting points. I've heard something to
the effect that current versions of UMDS have certain weaknesses in
handling historical data, but that Kent is working to fix those
weaknesses.  I'd be able to comment more intelligently about that if I
could read a real spec.

I understand UMDS has three fatal weaknesses as far as I'm concerned:

1: It doesn't allow the importation of custom data into its realtime
database.  Same weakness as Omega's server.  I've found a workaround
for this problem in TS 3.5, but that workaround isn't practical for TS
4.0.  Who knows about TS 5.0?

2: It doesn't work on any computer that's connected in any way to any
network.  This means I couldn't use it on my computer that's networked
with my wife's computer, even though our activities are totally
unrelated, except we share resources like printers, backup devices, etc.

3: It doesn't run on Linux.  How can any software be considered
"open" if it requires the use of a Microsoft product? Aside from the
proprietary nature of the MS environment, I consider my trading
workstation to be "mission critical" and no MS operating system meets
that criterion.