CLINTON

Special Issue 09/12/98

THE SAVANT'S COMMENTARY: THE STOCK SAVANT   @ StockBuyer.com

IMHO:

I like my entire fellow Americans would love to live the bucolic life. Where
jobs are plentiful, crime is declining, products and services are abundant and
affordable, interest rates are low and everyone is smiling, happy and content.
But… for every action there is a reaction. The only point I would like to make
is I agree wholeheartedly that it is morally and ethically correct to be
forgiving and compassionate to our fellow human beings but at what cost? I
vehemently object to a different set of standards being set for politicians,
athletes, entertainers etc., they must accept the fact that they are, due to
their fame, held to a higher standard. On the day that  Spiro Agnew resigned
the vice-presidency in 1973 with nothing but his own humiliation to deal with,
a gentleman from the same voting district in Baltimore was fined and jailed
for fishing without a license. Where is the justice? What is the message being
sent to the public and more importantly our children? I will tell you what it
is...if you can surround yourself with the powers that be within the system
you will insulate and be judged at a different level. Pete Rose the most
prolific hitter in baseball history has been denied entry into the Hall of
Fame because he refuses to admit that he has or had a gambling problem. Where
is the justice?
 Obviously our President has a problem, is it abuse of power, is it habitual
lying, or is it some sexual deviancy that could be treated? I am not qualified
to make a judgement about his dysfunctional behavior, which I personally find
reprehensible. Although his choice of where to engage in his peccadilloes as
well as his blatant denials are very serious. The President "Swaggertized" the
religious leaders yesterday at the prayer meeting. He repented, so have 80% of
all peoples who have been incarcerated or vilified in society. I personally
would not like to see the President impeached but if I were a betting man I
would wager that there are more Monica's out there. If he needs help then
let's support treatment but let us not for one moment close our eyes to the
degradation that has forever marred one of our most pristine institutions, the
Presidency of The United States of America as well as, The White House.
Does the moral fiber of a society not matter? I think so! How can we, as
Americans close our eyes and ears under the guise of "the economy is great, we
are all better off now scenario" and allow our society to fall into such
immoral disrepair? The breakdowns of the family will inevitably breakdown our
society. How can we as a society close our eyes to the one person who was
chosen to be our leader? He has been fabricating and embellishing every
adverse event of his life, he is in complete denial and he is living a lie.
We, as Americans should not expect perfection but we should expect the respect
that comes with the office of the Presidency of the United States.
In the event of a resignation IMHO investors would not be adversely effected
but if Secretary of the Treasury Rubin or Federal Reserve Chairman Greenspan
were to resign, WATCH OUT!!
Investors must remember that this Democratic President without a Republican
majority in the House or Senate would be ineffective. There is no argument to
this; as a matter of fact there have been many voices that have asserted that
President Clinton has been one of the best "Republican" Presidents of the
modern era.
What do we do as investors going forward? It certainly appears that the lack
of surprise in the Starr report has given investors a sense of relief and an
opportunity to replace beaten down issues. I believe the American public's
compassion or naivete will provide a reflex rally next week. This reflex rally
is not for the faint of heart. Be prepared for wide swings and a lot of
volatility. I will be presenting picks as I see them on the hot pick section
this weekend. Make sure that you come to the site often as I will be adding
input as I progress with my research. Also please be sure to vote on our
September survey. If I have offended anyone with my diatribe I APOLOGIZE AND I
WILL REPENT !