Re: Optimal F - looking for high or low value ??

Hi

Assuming you are a profit maximiser, then you want the system with the
highest f.  Consider if you had the perfect system, it would have an f
of 1.0 - ie you would bet all your wealth on each trade as it would be
always be a winner.

Of course, the better your system the higher its optimal f, but the
catch is if it starts losing then your account equity will collapse too
- no free lunch but then again with such a great system you will recover
from drawdowns quicker than by any other method, by trading optimal f.

To apply optimal f, you need to satisfy the underlying assumptions -
system with a positive expectation (this is very different from having a
winning system in the past - ever heard of a system blowing up despite
all the killer TS performance stats?) and profit maximising motive (cf
drawdown minimising motive - where do you fall in that continuum).

If you believe you've got those 2 things, then shoot for the system with
the highest optimal f. Read and reread and reread Ralph Vince's books -
all will be revealed . . . oh did I mention the need for lots of capital
too?

Later

Peter