From: Timothy Morge <tmorge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: The Omega Man (TM) <editorial@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Omega List <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>; Mark Brown <markbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Saturday, September 05, 1998 3:29 PM
Subject: Re: CURRENCY PLAYS?

Omega Man:

Normally I would be looking at shorting both the instruments and the
currencies
of those countries. However, I have been long swiss since its breakout on
8/28,
dmarks since the breakout on the same day and yen on 8/31. Since these
markets
are much more liquid and the technical setups [for me] looked so clear, in
these
volatile markets I have no appetite for more currency risk of any kind in my
portfolio. Three units is as much as I carry.

Since I have been long US Bonds and Ten Year Notes and Mar Euros for weeks,
also have no room to have further interest rate exposure. Again, these
markets
are much more liquid than any of the vehicles I would have to trade[and they
are
most active in the hours I am awake...that never hurts].

Of course, I did get long barbecue grills for the long weekend...but that's
uncorrelated risk.

Best,

Tim Morge

The Omega Man (TM) wrote:

> Mark and Tim,
>
> What's the play in currencies right now?
>
> Are you trading the extreme in the dollar?  Are you shorting emerging
> markets and/or their currencies and/or their bonds?  If yes, which ones
and
> with what vehicles?
>
> All the best,
>
> The Omega Man

They
> would say well thats the system all the details I've given you.  But they
> had done some things for so many years that they forgot that they did it
at
> all.  They just took it for granted that every one knew what they were
> talking about.
>
> I assume the following:  Markets trend very little, when they do its
> impressive sure.  How will you pick the correct market to catch the trend?
> You wont its like the lottery and if you do it wont be because you know
what
> your doing.  Thus I assume every market top and bottom to be sold and
bought
> if my systems tell me to.  The trends take care of themselves, for if it
is
> truly a trend the systems reverse and go with it.  Simply I'm a counter
> trend trader with a backup plan for when I'm wrong.  I'm wrong very
little,
> I do just fine counter trending and I'm counter trending 90 % of the time.
> Wouldn't it be easy for me to trade the trend ?  Da!  Breakout channel,
Da!