RE: Rapidly changing fortunes

This situation reminds me of the 94 "bear market" in bonds.  Bonds had
rallied for almost 3 years prior to 94 then spent all of that year
"correcting".  On a longer time frame bonds retraced roughly 40% of the bull
market gain from 91, found support at the end of 94 and continued up in 95.
Now bonds are at new highs and it looks like there is no stopping them.

The same could happen in the S+P.  This break is much sharper which to me
implies a top more than a correction but on a % correction basis (of the
bull trend) it's less than where bonds were at when they turned and headed
up again.  However, breaks that carry this kind of momentum, in any market,
are not good news for bulls but it does not immediately usher in a bear
market or rule out a solid continuation later.

A solid base of support will have to be generated at these levels to
springboard to a higher price later.  This will take at least a year.  A
sharp rally back up any sooner and you run risk of blow off action --
definite topping action.

On a % basis, the S+P is no worse off now than bonds were at the end of
1994.  This is good news for the bulls because look where bonds are now.
However, the bad news is that in bonds it took 1 year to correct 40% while
it took about a month in the S+P.  But market characteristics could account
for this (ie  treasuries just move slower than indexes).

Brian.