Re: The secret of a good trader, is it for sale ?

I think there are many answers to the question as to what makes a good trader.

I believe that at one end of the spectrum there are the seat-of-the-pants
discretionary traders. I have no question that there are very talented and
capable people like this who clean our clocks daily. If you were to tie
them up, give them truth serum, and interrogate them to find out their
secrets, I honestly believe they couldn't tell you.

At the other end are the people with no inherent trading capability but
with huge access to and knowledge of modern technology, engineering,
advanced mathematics. The rocket scientists. The super-geeks. This is the
end of the spectrum that I try to inhabit. Since I have no natural trading
ability, I'm trying to capitalize on decades of geekism.

Then, there are all the shades and mixtures in between these two extremes.
You can probably find many success stories in here.

However, I don't think you can necessarily back up the statement that
people who boast aren't making money. In general, we like our heros to be
modest. Thus when Michael Jordan turns out to be a very elegant individual
as well as the greatest basketball player of all time, we're pleased.
Similarly, Tiger Woods' unassuming behavior is appealing. However, there
are successes who never tire of reminding us of that fact. Remember Muhamed
Ali in his prime? Now, he's everyone's nostalgia hero. It wasn't that way
30 years ago. When a public figure is successful and arrogant, we seem to
all root for that person's downfall. But the "success gene" isen't
necessarily tightly linked to the "modesty gene."

Allan