Re: SCSI vs IDE

John Sweeney  S&C <JSweeney@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote me privately:

>You might want to elaborate on this posting.
>
>John
>
>>"JL" <fastgroup@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>>The new PII systems have a 100Mhz memory bus.  PCI, ISA and other
>>>such buses not that fast.
>>
>>Make sure your system RAM, cache and main memory, have the speed to
>>keep up with the bus they're tied to.  Remember 1/100Mhz = 10 nanosec.
>>
>>Jim

I'm simply warning that if your memory chips are too slow to handle
the speed your computer's bus is advertised to be, and you've paid
all that money for, your computer system will have to wait for those
slow memory chips, slowing down the effective bus speed.  There's
no point in paying for a bus that's faster than the components it
connects together.  Just make sure, in the case cited above, that
the RAM you buy has access time of less than ten nanoseconds.

Jim