SCSI vs IDE

>Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 06:57:00 -0600
>From: "Earl Adamy" <eadamy@xxxxxxxxxx>
<SNIP>>
>I do agree wholeheartedly that disk performance is critical to system
>performance. So how to you get great disk performance using EIDE? Buy a fast
>EIDE disk - Quantum offers big EIDE drives in 9 millisecond range - I run
one as
>my primary drive and it screams. Put the OS pagefile on a second (EIDE) disk
>drive and make sure that the page file is allocated at the beginning of the
>disk - the page file is the workhorse on many computer systems - the second
>drive can also be used for archival and other low access use without
impairing
>performance of the page file. Install plenty of memory so that the OS can
cache
>files efficiently - the cache is the racehorse and it must have adequate
room to
>keep actively used files, indexes, and OS functions in memory - with memory
>prices so low there is no reason not to have 64 meg on every workstation.
Make
>sure that your motherboard includes Bus Mastering (now standard on most
>motherboards) and that it is enabled. Use an industrial strength OS and in
the
>world of windows operating systems there is only one - Windows NT - it's
built
>from the ground up to manage and cache disk space far more efficiently than
>WinXX.
Earl,
Once again, it is good to see your participation.  I think we go back
almost 7-8 years if you include  posts on the Compuserve Investor Forum.

I need a little education...

Just what is the OS page file?
How can I move this file to another drive?
How can I specify it to be at the beginning of the drive?
Is this something that can only be done with NT or can it be done with WIN95?

Charles Kaucher

 "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not
 sure about the former."  - Albert Einstein -

 "640K ought to be enough for anybody."  - Bill Gates - 1981