Re: Hard disk on/off - Win98

I have read the response from several people but none of them gave you
an answer to your question.

So here it is.

The debate over whether to leave machines running all the time (24/7)
has been around forever and will never go away.

However, having been in the engineering and computer world for the past
25 years my practical experience with not only my machines but all of my
customers are that leaving them on 24/7 causes less problems than
powering them up and down.

Now, with that said..... Win 98 is NOT powering off your hard disk.  It
is logically telling the motor to stop spinning.  This is a HUGE
difference.  The wear and tear (problems) that occur with turning the
machines on and off are almost 100% related to two situations.

The first being the power spikes that occur naturally during power up,
i.e. the failed light bulb syndrome.  They fail while being powered up,
not while operating.

The second is the constant heating up and cooling down of the
components.  Much like the cracks in cement that don't have expansion
joints. The materials want to contact and expand.

By powering down the motor on the hard disk via logic, you have not
caused either condition to occur.  The circuitry that controls the motor
almost always makes the transition when the AC cycle is at 0, not at the
extremes.

So, to answer your question..... leave them on forever.  Power down the
monitor if it doesn't have a sleep mode.

Enough said .....

I hope this helps.

"Chance favors the prepared mind"