Re: Y2 K

Paul Weston <PaulWeston@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>I personally, within the last 2 weeks, had my  credit card declined at a
>large and fancy hotel.  Yeap, it expires in 2000 and was read as already
>expired.  Not the end of the world, but certainly a pain.

The lady who runs the little shop where I get my beekeeping supplies
was very surprised when her card reader choked on my XX/01 card,
since she'd been happily approving XX/00 cards for months.  Seems
somebody forgot the old maxim: you've got to check on BOTH sides
of zero.  A long telephone process, pushing buttons for the robot
completed the transaction, and another failure point was unmasked.

I suspect by zero hour, a lot more of the problem will be solved
than some fear now, but I also expect some interesting surprises.
As an exercise in crowd psychology, which, after all, is really
the game we're all involved in, I wonder if Y2K will prove to
be a case of "Sell the rumor, buy the news..."

Should be fun, in any case.

Jim