Re: The future is here

On Wed, 22 Jul 1998, Hans wrote:
>How much will various internet items on your pc delay each other..........

Good question. I've noticed a marked slowdown when accessing
the web while running LOS. According to Joe, this shouldn't
be the case but, when I disconnect from LOS, I've noticed a
dramatic increase in performance.

Personally, I'd wouldn't feel comfortable using Signal
OnLine without two ISPs =and= a line dedicated =solely=
thereto. Even then, there have been times when =both= of my
ISPs have been down.

Further, I can imagine a scenario where users walk away from
their machine (perhaps just momentarily) only to find that
their connection has been dropped when they return. I
wonder, therefore, whether there is some mechanism whereby
the connection can be re-established automatically.

Another issue (albeit rather minor) is the cost of the
service. After perusing the website, I calculated that
Signal OnLine would run circa $100/mo =less= than BMI SAT.
However, due to the fact that my line is a "business" line
(Ameritech), usage is metered. Consequently, I believe that
any cost savings would be eaten up by the (substantial)
increase in line usage.

In sum, other than the potential to go wireless, I'm having
some difficulty in discerning a distinct advantage over SAT
delivery.

Best regards,
Jim