The future is here

I've had private discussions with several list members concerning the appeal
of truly wireless, anytime-anywhere trading.  We all know about electronic
order placement through systems such as Leoweb, but what was missing was a
viable way to follow the market without being tied down to a physical line
(cable, dish, FM, etc.).  I'm happy to report the future is here.

Most list members know that DBC is now offering Signal Online, which
transmits streaming real-time quotes to the user over the internet.  It is
supposed to be compatible with TS 5.  What I just found out myself is that
AT&T is now offering unlimited WIRELESS internet access for a flat fee of
$49 a month through DBC.  They are apparently piggy-backing it on their PCS
cell phone system.  This system already has good metropolitan coverage, and
full nationwide access is only a matter of time (at the rate Omega's moving,
it will probably be nationwide before TS 5 is released...).

On top of the monthly fee is a (pretty steep) fee of $800 for the wireless
modem (which apparently only works on certain laptops).  I'm sure Sprint is
planning on configuring their PCS system for such service, and then we'll
have some competition in this market.

The only downside is that the modem only has a transfer speed of 19Kbs.
However, Allan Kaminsky was told by DBC that this speed is the equivalent of
an analog 38.4 modem.  That sounds good enough for me.

Just think about it: Tradestation + Signal Online + AT&T Wireless + Leoweb =
true anytime-anywhere trading (for Americans anyway, Hans and Pierre are
still out of luck).

The standard disclaimer applies.  I have no affiliation with any of these
companies, I'm just hoping other members of this list will be the pioneers
and take the arrows by trying the service and letting the rest of us know
what they think of it.

Bruce