Re: Bull and Bear Fear

Dennis:

Well, amidst all the postings today [and saving those old paper bags...] I did
get a great package from one of my lawyers...I have been collecting first
edition books and uncorrected proofs for a very long time, although they have
always been of works of fiction. A friend of mine runs a very large auction
house and she called me one day a few months ago to ask me to help her appraise
a portion of an estate. I happen to have the most complete set of uncorrected
proofs of some modern authors [authors like Thomas Pynchon, for example, and
some of the pieces in this estate were in this category]. I was glad to help.

But when I finally saw the collection, there was a large bundle of papers,
rather ratty looking and tied together with some old string at the bottom of one
of the sealed containers. When I asked her what these papers were, she told me
the owners considered them basically junk and they were not going to be priced
or auctioned. Ok, call me a snoop, but that made me really want to look at the
papers. To make the long story short, these papers were authentic papers from
two of the greatest traders of the early 20th century. They were filled with
notes and drawings and hand drawn charts of markets...I tell you, I was in
heaven!

I had my friend call the family and tell them that I was interested in acquiring
the papers [well, they are actually both unpublished manuscripts] and although
they offered them to me as compensation for my appraisal fees, I gladly offered
them a separate and very nice check, payable once the manuscripts were
authenticated. This afternoon, they arrived...signed, sealed and delivered and
authenticated. I admit, their work, all done by hand, stands the test of time.

So, when in doubt, I am sticking with drawing my simple lines on a paper
bag--since brown butcher paper is so hard to find these days.

I hope you all have a nice evening.

Best,

Tim Morge [Save those old paper bags before I find them all...remember, the
supermarket will give you paper bags if you ask nice...ready for hand charting
after year 2000]