Re : Bad initial ticks

Dans un courrier daté du 15/07/98 22:21:13  , jrehler@xxxxxxxxx écrit :

<<
 And what pray tell, nightmare system crash will result after 18 months
 of no morning updates, Hmmm?

I guess that no praying is necessary, and no crash due to the lack of morning
update.
Lets see what the morning update does and how to replace this:

<<
 Taken from Server Help file:

 The morning update is a utility that runs automatically at a certain
 time each day.  During the morning update you can have the Server clean
 up your log files,

The log files are *.LOG files located in the omega\server\NAME directory
where NAME is SIG,CSK or BMI according to the datafeed that you use.
All are text fles like what you can read in the Server windows.

Remedy:
add a line to the autoexec.bat file to delete these files when rebooting.

<<
 back up your tick data files,

This is optional.
You can backup your database once, then do a daly of weekly copy out data.
If you want to backup, you need to copy 40NAME.DAT and 40NAME.idx files frim
the above NAME directory.

<<
mark expired contracts,

This is waht we want toremove to allow data collection after Y2000 expiration.
So, this is the good point.

<<
 and automatically add new future contracts x calendar months out into
 the future.

This is why I asked you to do this BEFORE unchecking th morning update.
Create 48 months in advance. or more if TS accepts.
You can also add from the portfolio
One the contracts are created, and not removed by the morning update, the
problem will disappear.

<<
In addition, the morning update is used to purge your tick
 and daily data files.  When a symbol is added to your portfolio, you
 select the number of days you want to save for each symbol.  For
 example, you might save 365 days of daily data and 30 days of tick
 data.  After 365 days of daily data collection, the first day must be
 dropped to make room for the next day.  The morning update performs this
 operation.  If you are not performing an evening update your tick and
 daily data files will become very large and take up hard drive space
 that could be better used.

Purging the tick database is not a problem.
You can do this more efficiently by copying out all the data and pasting in
again.
This will also give you a chance to do a serious backup.
To avoid unknown problems if you have 300 days, select all the data from the
portfolio, and set the number of days to collect to 5000 for example.

<<
 Pierre this is not a workable solution.

It is a workable one.
I have seen more tricky things since the very beginning in 1992 with ComStock.
The fact is that I still have my database since this date, all ticks, all
symbols are still here, and I startyed with verison 2.01 (version 1 was
useless here because DBC was not present in Europe at this time and it was the
only feed available with TS1).
So, you may think that I know something to the problem.
I suffered all data conversion, all problems, and the database is still here
and of a respectable 900Mb size.
The secret is to always have a backup before experiencing (and for other
safety reasons)

You may submit this solution to Omega , and ask them if there is a risk to
desactivate the morning update to allow yk2.xxx expiring contracts, as I
explained above
I guess that there is no risk...
.

Sincerely,