Scans for stocks

Morning folks...

The list has been fairly quiet for quite some time, so I wondered if anyone has
the time or inclination to answer a question or two for me?

I went back and looked in the ATI digests and saw that at one point, several
people were providing the list with the results of daily stock scans that were
set up for various
criteria. Can someone give me a feel how difficult it is to set up a database of
stocks for scanning of this type? Were these scans done inside TradeStation
or done with a routine in a programming code like C? Is it relatively simple
to scan for simple patterns, like railroad patterns, for example? Does one
start by scanning the entire stock universe, or do you find it better to start
with
a filtering criteria, like only stocks above minimum some volume or the top
XXX volume stocks for the past ten days?

Can anyone help me with some sample scans I might try that they have found
interesting? I trade commodities for a living, but I'd like to look at some
of the stock work that people seem to be doing--Maybe I can use similar
techniques to trade individual stocks if I can narrow the world of stocks down a
bit
by using some scanning techniques.

I'd appreciate any help you can give me.

Best,

Tim Morge