Re: BMI says do not realign

Only modestly.  For such a catostophic even to be remedied in less than
half a day, as far as BMI users are concerned, I find quite remarkable.
The repositioning was quite easy and I give them a hat's off for the
communication that Jeff maintained with us.  As far as PanAm is concerned,
140million in cost is a pretty big thing to have multiple contingencies
sitting around doing nothing else but wait for a failure.
JB

----------
> From: Earl Adamy <eadamy@xxxxxxxxxx>
> To: omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: BMI says do not realign
> Date: Thursday, May 21, 1998 8:26 AM
>
> I feel much more charitable about vendor problems caused by a satellite
going
> out than I do about problems caused by a vendor which is unwilling to fix
> problems which are well within its control. I think we need to give this
thing a
> few days to sort out before we'll know if contingency planning has been
> adequate. My initial read on things is that it's the responsibility of
the
> carrier, e.g. PanAmSat, to incorporate backup capabilities into their
service.
> PanAmSat, with multiple satellites, should be in a position to
redistribute
> loads from a failed satellite to other satellites. The costs for each
satellite
> user to maintain redundent transponder capacity on different satellites
would be
> extremely high and extremely wasteful.
>
> PanAmSat has been experiencing problems with Galaxy IV for well over a
month and
> had already ordered a replacement with expected launch in late 1999.
Without