Creating DLL's

Regarding programming languages for DLL's.  C is glorified too much.  Many
wrongly assume that complex programming can only be done in C or C++.  A high
level language is nothing more than the surface interface between programmer
and the compiler engine which then converts those human readable alpha and
numeric instructions into machine language.  Many years ago, compilers that
interfaced to programmers by the C language were the only ones that were
efficient.  The big bucks to pay for the best compile writers were behind C.
Remember that C was invented and pushed by Bell Labs.

Now, writing an optimizing compiler is a mature art so there are a lot of
other good compiler's out there, in particular: BASIC, Pascal and Delphi.
And, they are inexpensive.  Those interested should check out
www.powerbasic.com.  Power Basic makes three compilers.  A DOS BASIC
compiler, a 16 bit DLL BASIC compiler and a 32 bit DLL BASIC compiler.  I
haven't used their 16 bit DLL compiler yet but I have read the manual.  It
looks like it would be great for TS and SC applications.  It is supposed to
be extremely fast and efficient.  The language is a superset of their DOS
BASIC which I have programmed with extensively (made a living) for many
years.  That BASIC language is very powerful.

Then there is Delphi by Borland.  This is a form of Pascal.  It is very
popular, possibly second to VB, and is easy to write.  Compuserve has a
Delphi forum that is active and full of programming examples.  All the
computer retailers sell Delphi.  I believe Delphi is up to version 3 now.
But be careful.  Make sure that the Delphi CD ROM also contains version 1
which is the 16 bit version.  I don't believe that current versions of TS or
SC can call a 32 bit DLL.  They certainly can't if running WIN 3.1.  I
haven't worked with Delphi, but in the past Borland has produced fast,
efficient compilers that don't generate bloated code like other company's
products do.

Don't just jump into VB without the following being answered:  I don't use VB
so I don't have the answers.  Earlier versions of VB would not generate a
DLL.  Later versions of VB will generate a DLL but it may be only 32 bit.  Is
there a version of VB that will generate a 16 bit DLL.  Or, is there a way
for TS & SC to call a 32 bit DLL?

I hope the above has added value to the subject of DLL's.

Barry.