Re: T/Port Card

In a message dated 98-05-04 14:00:18 EDT, tmorge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> There's a better product...go to wwww.turbocom.com
>
>  It uses a UART 16750 chip and has great software as well.
>
>  All of computers are configured with these cards.

Tim

        You and I talked about this before.  I had several lengthy
communications with those folks, and the were indeed very helpful,  BUT....
All the did in several E-Mails, was talk about the speed and thru put of their
boards, and that isn't the issue.  The issue is what happens if the CPU is
tied up say for 30 seconds, and can't accept the data from the board.  What
happens to it.  TLink guarantee's the data isn't lost.  The turbocom folks
would never address that issue.  I don't need speed faster than 38k, as thats
the speed the data is coming in, what I need and I think what was being asked
about is storing the data.   The T-Port board had larger storage, than even
the 16750 chip, but they had plug and play problems, and so went to a software
solution, that works.   I actually stopped data collection with the cpu for 1
minute, and lost 0 ticks of data.  I asked Turbocom what their board would do
with this test, and never got an answer

               Pete