Advice on selecting contract month to trade

  • To: "'Omega List'" <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Advice on selecting contract month to trade
  • From: "Glenn Crumpley" <glenn@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 20:24:37 -0700

I'm trying to determine a good strategy for selecting which
contract month/months to trade.

Until now I assumed that most contracts for a given
commodity exhibited similar price characteristics.
I noticed on my Sugar trade, however, that the May
and July contracts traded at significantly different
prices and price movements. Assuming that several
different months generate similar trading signals, among the approaches
I've considered are:

1.  Pick the nearest month and apply all of my trading capital there.
2.  Pick the next nearest month and apply all of my trading capital there.
3.  Spread my capital among several months.

Any advice?

Regards,
Glenn Crumpley