Re: Real Trading Experience about John G. by Bob Kodama

  • To: cash@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Real Trading Experience about John G. by Bob Kodama
  • From: Timothy Morge <tmorge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 06:21:27 -0800 (PST)

cash@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Regarding John G.'s performance:
>
> > He started trading 12,000 shares of msft and making money.
> >
> > His results last year.  $250,000.  Beginner's luck.
>
> So What?
>
> Don't confuse good trading with a bull market.
>
> As a trader, shouldn't the objective be to beat a buy and hold
> method?

I see your point here, but I would say that *my* objective as a trader
is to make money trading. I'm not trying to beat anyone or any method.

But I absolutely agree with your statement that buying stocks in a
bull market does not a trader make. That doesn't mean this gentleman
will not be a successful trader if the market turns down. But as I
often say...I hope he is saving some of those windfalls...they just
might come in handy.

You know, here's a fascinating question: How many traders on this list
have actually traded stocks or stock indexes in a bear market? I won't
use Robyn's example of the bond market, because it has not been as
pure a trend as the stock market, but it is also a valid market to use
as an example. So many of our tendencies as traders are learned early
in our career [hence the old saying you can't teach old dogs...] and
so I always scratch my head when people that have been trading for two
or three years talk about how 'they are making tons of money and can
make money in any market conditions.' Some of them even talk about how
they survived this crash or that crash. I wonder, silently, to myself,
what they will do when these markets turn and become down-trending
trading markets, which can be entirely different animals.

Tim Morge